Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Odd food...


Other than freshly helicopter-shot caribou (I have to make a Palin reference somehow), do you have any odd things you like to eat?

Over at As Seen from Up Here , Chris is asking about odd food combos. You'll have to check out the interesting combo he came across today. His blog's comments started talking about odd food choices or habits. These are mine:

* Peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches. I once was reading through a book of trivial facts at a gift shop years ago. One page said

"Omaha, Nebraska has the lowest
per capita consumption of
mayonnaise in the US."


I almost spit across the room. I know that almost every salad, many deserts and some casseroles of my Nebraska experience require mayonnaise in HUGE quantities. Then I saw an * at the end of the sentence. I went to the bottom of the page and read

"The same can't be said for
Miracle Whip consumption."


Now that I must agree with. I have recipes that specifically state
"2 cups Mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)"
because ... well, regardless of the popular sentiment there, they are not the same!

* I won't put a lemon wedge in my drinks. I'll squeeze the juice in and set it aside.
If it's already in the glass, I can live with it but won't put it back in. This drove my mom nuts for some reason. I reasoned that I had worked once in a very upscale restaurant for a month (hated it!) and saw lemons rolling everywhere. So I forwarded this to her ...

Mom came around.

I saw lots of things that I don't want to remember. But I'll always remember this:

Never piss off your server before the food arrives!
Do you have any beloved food combos or quirky food habits?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Miracle Whip on steak still makes me, and anybody else I tell, cringe!

Just Kevin... said...

We all have odd tastes in our childhood...

Project Christopher said...

Miracle Whip on steak???

[shudder]

we always had the battle going in our house. My brother preferred Miracle Whip, I like regular mayo. Mom took turns and I had to endure Miracle Whip as long as the jar lasted.

I learned quickly that the sooner that jar emptied, the sooner I'd get to regular mayo....